Everyone’s favourite quick winter treat gets a festive facelift
- 200g bar plain chocolate, broken into chunks
- 600ml milk
- 150ml pot single or double cream
- sugar, to taste
- 6 peppermint candy canes, to serve
- Put the chocolate in a pan with the milk. Gently heat, stirring until all the chocolate has melted. Continue heating until the milk is steaming, then remove from the heat and stir in the cream.
- Divide the hot chocolate between 6 mugs, add sugar to taste and hang a candy cane on the edge of each. Pass the mugs round and let everyone stir their hot chocolate with their candy cane – letting as much of the sweet peppermint dissolve as they fancy.