From top to bottom: Waldorf Chicken Salad (No. 43), Turkey with Everything Hummus (No. 37), Corned Beef with Horseradish Slaw (No. 3)
1. Steak with Blue Cheese Combine 1 tablespoon mayonnaise with 1 teaspoon steak sauce; toss with 1/2 cup diced cooked steak, 1 cup chopped romaine, 1/4 diced avocado, 1/4 cup chopped tomato, 1 to 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, 1 crumbled slice cooked bacon and salt and pepper. Roll up in a large flour tortilla.
Pastrami with Slaw (No. 2)
2. Pastrami with Slaw Toss 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage with 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon each sugar and chopped dill; let sit 15 minutes. Mix 1 tablespoon yellow mustard with 1 teaspoon horseradish; spread on the bottom of a split onion roll. Fill with sliced pastrami and the slaw.
3. Corned Beef with Horseradish Slaw Toss 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 2 teaspoons each horseradish and water, 1 teaspoon grainy mustard and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Sandwich sliced corned beef and the slaw between 2 slices rye bread.
4. Roast Beef and Smoked Gouda Spread honey mustard on 2 slices challah bread. Sandwich sliced roast beef, sliced smoked gouda and romaine lettuce between the bread slices.
5. Spicy Roast Beef and Brie Spread 1 slice sourdough bread with pepper jelly. Top with sliced roast beef, sliced brie and watercress; season with salt. Top with another slice of bread.
6. Italian Deli Mix 3 tablespoons olive oil with 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 grated small garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon each Italian seasoning and sugar. Drizzle all but 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette inside a split sub roll. Fill with shredded romaine and mozzarella, pepperoni, salami and prosciutto and sliced pickled peppers; drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette.
7. Italian BLT Cook 4 thin slices pancetta in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, 5 minutes. Mix 2 tablespoons mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon chopped basil; spread on 2 slices country bread. Sandwich the pancetta, baby arugula and sliced tomato between the bread slices.
Broccoli Rabe with Lemon Ricotta (No. 8)
8. Broccoli Rabe with Lemon Ricotta Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 smashed garlic clove in a large skillet over high heat. Add 3 cups trimmed broccoli rabe, season with salt and cook, stirring, until charred and tender, 4 minutes. Let cool, then chop. Mix 1/2 cup ricotta with the zest of 1/2 lemon and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt; spread on 1 slice Italian bread. Top with the broccoli rabe and another slice of bread.
9. Tomato and Mozzarella with Pesto Toss 1/3 cup each quartered cherry tomatoes and mini mozzarella balls, 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper, 2 teaspoons minced shallot, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar; set aside 15 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon chopped basil. Cut one-third off the top of a soft sub roll and pull out some of the inside, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges; spread pesto inside. Fill with the tomato mixture and replace the roll top.
10. Grilled Eggplant with Mozzarella Slice 1 small Japanese eggplant 1/2-inch thick; toss with olive oil and salt. Grill over medium-high heat, turning, until charred, 5 minutes. Let cool. Toss with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1/2 tablespoon each capers and currants; season with salt and red pepper flakes and let marinate 1 hour. Split 1 ciabatta roll and brush the inside with olive oil; fill with the eggplant, sliced fresh mozzarella and fresh basil.
11. Veggie Pimiento Cheese Mix 1/2 cup grated cheddar with 2 tablespoons each cream cheese and diced pimientos, 1 tablespoon each mayonnaise, chopped chives and parsley and a dash of hot sauce. Stir in 1/4 cup each diced bell pepper, cucumber and celery. Spread on 2 slices sourdough bread. Sandwich shredded romaine between the bread slices.
12. Turmeric Chickpea Pulse one 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained) in a food processor with 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon mustard, 1 garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric; season with salt and pepper. Spread on 8 slices multigrain bread. Sandwich lettuce, tomato and red onion between the bread slices. (Makes 4.)
13. Curried Cauliflower Cut 1/2 head cauliflower into small florets; toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and curry powder. Roast at 450 degrees F until browned, about 25 minutes, sprinkling with 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella during the last 2 minutes. Let cool. Spread mango chutney on 4 slices white bread. Sandwich the cauliflower and cilantro between the bread slices. (Makes 2.)
14. Roasted Carrots with Goat Cheese Toss 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon za’atar (Middle Eastern seasoning); roast at 425 degrees F until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool. Mash 2 ounces goat cheese, 1/4 cup chopped green olives and 3 tablespoons chopped parsley; spread on 2 slices multigrain bread. Top each with the carrots, a drizzle of honey and another slice of bread. (Makes 2.)
Roasted Squash with Pear (No. 15)
15. Roasted Squash with Pear Peel 1/4 butternut squash and slice 1/2 inch thick; toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees F until tender and browned, 35 minutes. Mix 2 tablespoons mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon miso paste; spread on 4 slices multigrain bread. Sandwich baby kale, the roasted squash and thinly sliced firm pears and red onion between the bread slices. (Makes 2.)
16. Zucchini Omelet Saute 1/4 cup each chopped zucchini and sliced onion in olive oil in a small nonstick skillet until tender, 4 to 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add 1 lightly beaten egg and cook, flipping once, until set, about 2 minutes, then fold in half. Fill a split 6-inch piece of Italian bread with the omelet, sliced tomato, shaved ricotta salata, fresh basil and a drizzle of red wine vinegar and olive oil.
Spanish Egg Salad (No. 17)
17. Spanish Egg Salad Mix 2 tablespoons each mayonnaise and chopped roasted red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 grated small garlic clove and 1 chopped scallion. Stir in 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs and 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds. Fill a split semolina roll with watercress and the egg salad.
Spinach-Artichoke with Havarti
18. Spinach-Artichoke with Havarti Spread 2 slices country bread with sun-dried tomato cream cheese. Sandwich sliced marinated artichoke hearts, baby spinach and sliced dill havarti between the bread slices.
19. Bologna and Sun-Dried Tomato Club Puree 1/4 cup each drained sun-dried tomatoes and water with 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a blender. Spread on 6 slices white bread. Sandwich sliced bologna and cheddar and romaine lettuce between the bread slices, using 3 bread slices per sandwich. (Makes 2.)
Ricotta, Marmalade and Salami (No. 20)
20. Ricotta, Marmalade and Salami Spread 1 split piece of rosemary focaccia with orange marmalade on one side and ricotta on the other side; sprinkle with pepper. Fill with thinly sliced fennel salami.
21. Mortadella with Pepper Relish Mix 1 tablespoon each chopped green olives, roasted red pepper, celery, parsley, pickled hot cherry pepper and brine from the jar and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Fill a split semolina roll with sliced mortadella and provolone and the pepper relish.
22. Salami with Spinach Spread 2 slices rye bread with chive cream cheese. Sandwich sliced Genoa salami and baby spinach between the bread slices.
Prosciutto with Fig Butter
23. Prosciutto with Fig Butter Mix 2 tablespoons fig jam with 1 tablespoon softened butter; season with pepper. Spread inside a split 6-inch piece of baguette. Fill with baby arugula and sliced prosciutto.
24. Middle Eastern Tuna Salad Mix one 3-ounce can tuna (drained) with 1 tablespoon each tahini, lemon juice and olive oil, 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper and 1 chopped scallion. Fill a pita pocket with the tuna salad; add some shredded cabbage drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil.
25. Italian Tuna Salad Mash 1/2 cup cannellini beans (drained and rinsed) with one 3-ounce can oil-packed tuna (drained) and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add 2 tablespoons chopped roasted red pepper, 1 chopped pepperoncini and 2 teaspoons brine from the jar. Fill 1 split piece of focaccia with the tuna salad and baby arugula.
26. Smoked Trout with Pickled Beets Pulse 4 ounces smoked trout with 2 tablespoons softened butter and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a food processor. Add 1 chopped scallion and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, season with salt and pepper and pulse. Spread Dijonnaise on 4 slices pumpernickel bread. Sandwich the trout mixture, pickled beets and sliced cucumbers between the bread slices. (Makes 2.)
Lox with Beet Cream Cheese (No. 27)
27. Lox with Beet Cream Cheese Mix 2 tablespoons each beet horseradish (drained) and cream cheese; spread on the bottom of a split everything bagel. Sandwich sliced English cucumber, lox and chopped dill between the bagel halves. Season with pepper.
28. Sardines with Red Pepper Butter Mix 1/4 cup each chopped parsley and thinly sliced red onion, the juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 teaspoon olive oil and a pinch of salt. Mix 2 tablespoons finely chopped roasted red pepper with 4 tablespoons softened butter and 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika; spread on 4 slices olive bread. Sandwich sardines and the parsley salad between the bread slices. (Makes 2.)
29. French Ham and Brie Generously butter a split 8-inch piece of baguette. Fill with sliced ham, brie and cornichons.
30. Southern Ham-Pickle Salad Mix 1/2 cup finely chopped leftover ham, 1 chopped scallion, 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery, 1 tablespoon each mayonnaise and finely chopped bread-and-butter pickles and 1 teaspoon each grainy mustard and finely chopped pickled jalapeno; season with pepper. Fill a split biscuit with the ham salad and lettuce.
31. Ham Banh Mi Toss 1/3 cup each thinly sliced cucumber, finely chopped cilantro, shredded carrot and shredded daikon radish and 1/2 minced jalapeno (remove the seeds for less heat); add 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Toss and let sit 30 minutes. Spread mayonnaise on one side of a split soft sandwich roll. Fill with sliced ham and the carrot-daikon slaw.
32. Ham and Turkey Croissant Mix 1 1/2 tablespoons each creme fraiche and grainy mustard. Spread inside a split croissant. Fill with sliced Black Forest ham and smoked turkey and torn frisee.
33. Smoked Turkey with Plums Spread a split 6-inch piece of baguette with Dijon mustard on one side and garlic-and-herb cheese spread (such as Boursin) on the other side. Fill with sliced smoked turkey, sliced plums and Bibb lettuce.
34. Tex-Mex Turkey Spread a split roll with refried black beans on one side and chipotle mayonnaise on the other side. Fill with deli-sliced spicy turkey, sliced tomato and avocado, pickled jalapenos, shredded lettuce and crumbled queso fresco.
35. Turkey with Herb Butter Mix 2 tablespoons softened butter with 1 minced garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon each minced rosemary and sage, fennel pollen, grated lemon zest and kosher salt; season with pepper. Spread inside a split ciabatta roll. Fill with sliced roast turkey, thinly sliced red onion, baby arugula and a squeeze of lemon juice.
36. Thanksgiving Turkey Mix 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard. Spread inside a split sesame kaiser roll. Fill with sliced roast turkey and prepared stuffing.
37. Turkey with Everything Hummus Toast 1/4 teaspoon each sesame seeds, poppy seeds and crushed caraway seeds in 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Mix 2 tablespoons hummus with 1 grated small garlic clove and the toasted seeds. Mash 1/4 avocado with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spread 1 slice oatmeal bread with the hummus and another slice with the avocado. Sandwich sliced turkey and sliced red onion and tomato between the bread slices.
38. Turkey-Cheddar Everything Bagel Mix 2 tablespoons mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon mustard and 1 grated garlic clove. Spread inside a split everything bagel. Fill with deli-sliced honey-roasted turkey, sliced cheddar, shredded iceberg lettuce and sliced pickles.
39. Chicken with Black Beans Mix 1/2 cup chopped grilled chicken, 1/4 cup each canned black beans (drained and rinsed) and chopped mango and 2 tablespoons each salsa and cilantro; season with salt. Roll up in a flour tortilla.
Buffalo Chicken (No. 40)
40. Buffalo Chicken Mix 2 tablespoons each ranch dressing and chopped celery with 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese; spread on one side of a split pretzel roll. Mix 1 tablespoon each hot sauce and ranch dressing; spread on the other side of the roll. Fill with deli-sliced Buffalo chicken.
41. Chicken Cobb Salad Mix 1 chopped hard-boiled egg, 1/4 cup chopped grilled chicken, 1 crumbled slice cooked bacon, 1/4 diced avocado, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich between 2 slices country white bread.
42. Chicken Caesar Salad Combine 1 tablespoon mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 grated small garlic clove. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped sliced roast chicken, 2 cups chopped romaine and 1/2 cup shaved parmesan. Roll up in a large spinach tortilla.
43. Waldorf Chicken Salad Mix 1/2 cup chopped grilled chicken, 1/4 cup each chopped apple, fennel and toasted walnuts, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fennel fronds, 1 chopped scallion, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich the chicken salad between 2 slices white bread.
Tarragon Chicken Salad (No. 44)
44. Tarragon Chicken Salad Combine 1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken with 2 tablespoons each plain yogurt and finely chopped celery and 1 tablespoon each mayonnaise, finely chopped red onion and tarragon; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich the chicken salad and romaine lettuce between 2 slices challah bread.
45. Chicken Cordon Bleu Mix 1 tablespoon each mayonnaise and mustard. Spread inside a split kaiser roll. Fill with a breaded chicken cutlet, sliced ham, sliced Swiss cheese and romaine lettuce.
46. Apple Butter with Banana Chips Spread 1 slice seven-grain bread with apple butter; spread sunflower seed butter (or nut butter) on another bread slice. Sandwich dried banana chips between the bread slices.
Apple and Walnut Cream Cheese (No. 47)
47. Apple and Walnut Cream Cheese Mash 2 ounces plain cream cheese with 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts and 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich the walnut cream cheese and thinly sliced apple between 2 cinnamon-raisin bread slices.
48. Raspberry-Coconut Almond Butter Spread 2 slices white bread with almond butter. Sandwich raspberries and toasted unsweetened coconut flakes between the bread slices; gently press together.
49. Spicy Peanut Butter-Banana Mix 2 teaspoons maple syrup with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce. Spread 1 slice white bread with peanut butter. Top with sliced banana and crumbled cooked bacon, then drizzle with the spicy syrup and top with another bread slice.
50. Chocolate-Hazelnut-Strawberry Spread 1 split sesame roll with robiola cheese on one side and chocolate-hazelnut spread on the other side. Fill with thinly sliced strawberries.